Tuesday, July 20, 2010

English Camp - Day 2

Hello avid readers,

Something that has remained in my mind from Friday morning is how crazy this all is. I still cannot believe it is all happening. Its something I feel incredibly blessed to be a part of and it is simultaneously the greatest and most challenging time of my life so far. It goes without saying that God has chosen the exact people he needs for this plan and He is going to fulfill it. And then some.

Day one tested our nerves to what I saw as a new level for all of us. Meeting a bunch of new people in a short amount of time is a crucible for some, exhilarating for others. But add in a language barrier and the scenario is heightened. To my surprise, however, many of the teens spoke comprehendable English. I was able to have relatively fluid exchanges with most who I met. Above all else, body language coveys the strongest message and a smile was what everyone shared instantly. I was stunned to sense a seemingly instant bond that had birthed and was growing rapidly. It felt like dozens, if not all of the kids came with open ears and minds primed to learn English. The first lesson went so well that my group ended up with more than enough material. I think the classic condition of the Americans anticipating the Hungarians and the flip side played to everyone's advantage. The first day also illustrated the timeless lesson of nothing is ever truly how it seems.

Day two proved steady yet considerable growth from Day one was at work. Acquaintances had already been made and friendships were well on their way. I have established some solid foundations as well. Sometimes it seems like all you need to begin a friendship is a common interest or the mutual appreciation of a joke.

Everything from games, to the classroom, meals, singing, discussions, and good ol inside jokes have been more than enjoyable. God has answered so many prayers and He continues to stump me with His sovereignty. No trip is perfect, but things are honestly so good I'm having a hard time describing it all. My thoughts are paced at light speed so hopefully I remembered everything I wanted to mention.

Thank you so much for reading this, thank you for supporting our trip - without you it wouldn't have commenced - and thank God for all He has done and is doing and will do.

Yours Truly,
Bradley 'Stanley' Johnson

P.S.

"If everything's relative, then why the emptiness, in our souls?
Trying to untie, the knot, we thought we were untying, our entire lives, we're busied up and burnt out.

For we are known by what we seek."

No comments:

Post a Comment